Saturday, March 15, 2008

WCS: How to see if you have lost your glasses

[Prologue:] About half a dozen years ago, I was in an airport and I somehow picked up a book, "Worst Case Scenarios at the workplace" or something like that. It was very comical yet very serious at the same time, which is quite a joy to read, with hilariously real illustrations... haha... so I picked it up and enjoyed it.

The other day I was watching Conan O' Brien and he was talking with the author of these books, and talking about his new book, "The COMPLETE Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook", which is the ultimate WCS book... they showed some of the illustrations (which I'll post later), and they were so funny, and I already like this type of book, so I amazon.caed it and now I have it.

So every now and then I might post an entry from the book and what I think about it... starting with this one... [End Prologue]


How to See if you have lost your glasses
Draw 2 circles about the size of a pair of lenses on a piece of paper. Use a pin or thumbtack to poke at least a dozen small holes in each of the circles, and then hold the paper to your face to see.

I did that.

It sort of works. And after thinking about it, I understand why.

See, when you don't have your glasses, everything far away is blurred, everything closer up is less blurred. So let's say you have the letters A and E together, like

"AE", and if you're nearsighted, it would blur together into a really weird blurry symbol. However, if you have this piece of paper trick, in one tiny hole you'll see the A, and it will be blurry, but by itself it sorta looks like an A. And then there'll be this white non-hole part you see, and in another hole you'll see an E, blurried up, but by itself a blurry E still looks like an E. Therefore, instead of AE being blurried together into a nonsensical mess, you have A by itself, a "space", and then E by itself, both a bit blurried but by themselves, and you can read them better.

It works! Next... gotta try "How to Survive an Elephant Stampede"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home