Friday, February 08, 2008

Level up! You've been promoted to General! + Call of Duty 4

Why does leveling up feel so good? Well, it's partially obvious... leveling up makes you better, or, it makes the game more fun. Sometimes you get stronger, sometimes you get a better variety of skills, you get better versions of those skills, etc... and I like it in games when you can level up several things at once... like, you can kill enemies to gain experience, but you can also kill enemies with a certain weapon or spell, and that weapon gets stronger. Also, I like it when there are other objectives than "kill enemies" that gain you experience... like, collect 5 herbs in WOW, or perform 5 air kills or whatever... that said...

I love Call of Duty 4. I found it a bit surprising that you can level up in Call of Duty 4. But it sure brings a lot more playing value to the game. Sure, I can play Halo 3 for hours and hours and have fun, but in Call of Duty 4 you do the same but you feel better since you're 'growing'.

In Call of Duty 4, there are 55 levels. Unlike WOW and RPGs, you don't get stronger when you level up... when you play multiplayer, you can be level 1 or 8 or 20, and you'll fight anyone from level 1 (or maybe 0? I forget) to 55. If you do get stronger as you level up, level 8 vs 40 would be so unfair! Instead... well, first let's explain what you have.

In Call of Duty, when you start a match or respawn, you start with a primary weapon, a sidearm, and a certain number of grenades. Before you start a match, you choose a class, which you customize. In the class, you choose your primary weapon, sidearm, special grenades, and perks. Each character has 3 perks, which can be thought of as Relics in FF6 or Materia in FF7. There are perks such as more life, stronger bullets, deeper bullet penetration (so you can shoot through wood and stuff), faster reload, hold more grenades, longer sprinting, etc...

Each player has 5 custom classes, and you choose which class you want to play before you start a match. So if it's a small map, you might pick a shotgun class with exploding bonuses upon death... or if it's a huge map or you're playing a 'defend a territory' gametype, you might be a sniper with better accuracy... and things like that. That's pretty cool.

So, back to leveling. At level 0, you have a certain number of perks to choose from, and a few number of weapons; 1 assault rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 sniper, 1 sidearm, 1 sniper, 1 light machine gun, 1 submachine gun, etc... so as you level up, you get to choose from a higher variety of different weapons, and you get more perks too. Additionally, after level 5 or so, you open up the 'boot camp' challenges and separate weapon challenges.

Boot camp challenges give you bonus experience when you do certain things, like "kill an enemy with a knife", or "kill 3 enemies with grenades", or "successfully call in an air strike". So you get extra experience when you do these things, but also, while in game, when you first finish a challenge, you get an awesome guitar riff sound effect and a big achievement pops up on your screen. Makes you feel good.

Weapon challenges upgrade your weapon, and they also give you more experience! If you kill with a certain weapon a number of times, you might get a new scope (for better zooming/accuracy), or if you get a certain number of headshots, you unlock some other new feature. Like bootcamp challenges, you also get an awesome feeling of rewardness when you complete the challenges.

You get a lot of exp bonus when you complete these challenges, so I think I'll be rotating between each of the assault rifles, lmg's and smg's and getting all the experience. Wheee... hehe, funny story. I really liked the shotgun I used in the last level in single player, so I was looking forward to it in multiplayer, but unfortunately, you don't start with it. I somehow read that you get the weapon at level 21, so I got to level 20 and I was so happy that I was almost getting it, but then I rechecked it and you get the weapon at 31! Argh! I slipperysloped myself, but that's okay, hehe.

In case you're wondering, nowadays my primary weapon is a Light Machine Gun (when I'm not leveling other weapons), preferably the M249Saw, one of the weapons you start with; pretty strong, but has a huge long reload time. I use it with the red sight scope. I have with me 1 frag grenade and 3 flash grenades (which have an awesome effect on the screen, btw), a pistol (I don't really care which one, until I get the desert eagle, haha), and I'm using extra grenades, more health, and Last Stand. When I die, I usually fall down, pull out my pistol, and lie on the ground bleeding for a few seconds more, but I get to look around and shoot people with my pistol. It's very surprising to some people, and I love surprising them.

This was a long entry, about stuff... anyway, I'm really liking Call of Duty 4. And that's why I like it... it's fun too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ambrose said...

Oh that's kinda neat, could try it out myself.

Although lvl 40 vs 6 would still be a tough match up if the better perks and weapons are unlocked at the later levels (which, should be the case or else leveling wouldn't be useful).

Sounds like you'd be playing this for awhile, if so can I take the game back so you can get your own copy? Personally not a big fan of long term loans.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home