Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ravnica: The Novel

The Ravnica fat pack came with the Ravnica novel, which I started reading on the 10th and I finished last night. Read every night from 1:00 am until I’ve read 10-25 pages, and then I was done.

I liked it. I guess we can measure a book’s goodness by how well you can translate what you read into imagery, into something believable in a fantasy setting. And yes, this book can do that. The writing isn’t superb – won’t win any awards anytime soon, but it was enjoyable and kept me wanting to read more.

Some parts did not – the first two chapters were somewhat confusing (time-changes), but after that it gets much better. There are multiple story lines from multiple characters (or people from different guilds) and eventually they do meet up together, and it’s exciting in that way.

Of course, it helps to know some stuff before reading the novel; getting accustomed to Ravnica by playing it or reading about it a lot helps. Agrus Kos is the main character, but there are a few angels and zombies and goblins, and other main characters like the Gorgon Sisters and Savra. Also, it is in a… city, RPG fantasy like setting, so I think having played MMO’s adds to the experience – actually, I only say this because there’s a character in here that has a pet wolf.

Anyway, the imagery works quite well, and twists and turns throughout the story keep your interest. So overall, I like this novel. It’s easy to read, and it’s fun. Now I’ll look forward to reading the other Ravnica novels, and if I can get my hands on the Kamigawa novels I’d read those too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home