Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Earth is an egg!

Rahxephon is weird. Alright, I remember I’ve seen maybe 1 or 2 episodes of Rahxephon (I assume 1), and yeah, it’s weird, but intriguing. Multiple timelines, universes, a love story, mech-war stuff – it’s weird. So I ordered the Rahxephon motion picture from ADV (from the sale) and I just watched it.

I was about to quit watching it about 40 minutes through because it irritated me – because episode 1 is thoroughly contained within the first 40 minutes. It’s like they wanted to make the movie watchable by people who hasn’t seen any Rahxephon, but they failed in that way, and that was a cowardly tactic. I haven’t seen ep 2, but I wouldn’t be surprise if ep 2, and maybe ep 24, were in the movie. Anyway, so I was about to turn it off, but about half way through it was really really sad for about 3 minutes, and then really really weird for 3 minutes.

Then it gets weirder. Okay, so it’s a weird movie, but they do eventually tell you more stuff so you can understand it, and then at the end it gets weird again. The dvd box says that it’s still a love story, and yeah, there’s a love story in it, with a lot of… weirdness. I wouldn’t say it’s an action anime movie – things do blow up, mechs do fight – but at heart it’s a weird philosophical, time-twisting confusing movie with a love story interweaved in the middle.

Because the first 30% of the movie was a cop-out, and the movie was weird, but it had some pretty moments, I’m giving it a 6.8/10. It wasn’t expensive and it came with a box and a nice booklet, so it was okay.

So the question is, can you watch it without watching Rahxephon? Um, I only saw ep 1 of Rahxephon, and ep 1 of Rahxephon is in this movie, so it’s as if I didn’t watch anything before watching this movie. I bet this movie will be quite a bit better if I did watch the entire series, but for now, I suppose you can watch it the way I watched it. Actually, if you didn’t see episode 1, you’d have much more enjoyment, at least from the first 40 minutes. So I hope you haven’t seen episode 1 yet. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home