Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lord of the Guitar

Wow. I love Guitar Hero. For the past two weeks, after finishing Zelda, 95% of my console playing time is spent on Guitar Hero. I would come home from work, and then maybe I’ll eat dinner, or I check my e-mails and facebook and all that, or I would watch Heroes or 24 (and Lost comes back tonight, yay!)… sometimes I would do something with Magic, since I laid out a bunch of cards on my desk…

But every now and then, I feel like going downstairs, and playing a game. Sure, I could get more items in Zelda, or play more Wario or Rayman or Monkeyball… I could try out Okami, or TotA, or check out the PS3 demos… I could open Lost Planet or Enchanted Arms and play those… but nope.

I play Guitar Hero. Specifically, Guitar Hero II, because of its practice mode. Just like with Pump It Up, I’ve created an excel spreadsheet which keeps track of how well I’m doing in GH2. Right now I’m playing practice mode, where you can play songs or sections of songs, in any difficulty, in 4 different speed settings, from regular, down to slowest, which I think is about 1/4 the speed. After you finish your song or section, it gives you a percentage, based on how many notes you’ve hit.

So right now I’m practicing for accuracy, rather than trying to score points using combos and star power. I’ll get to those later, but for me to become really good, I have to learn the songs and be very accurate. I’m focusing on about a dozen songs that I like, most of them being the difficult ones. Ideally, I’d be awesome at playing all the songs at full speed, but slowing them down lets me learn how the songs are structured. Being able to see the notes come at you in slow motion lets you learn how the song works.

So it’s fun. You guys should come over and get really good at this game =)

Now to buy a second guitar…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really loved playing GH that one tiem. I'm afraid if I come over to play it, you'll be super board.. how much fun is it watching me play, after all?

And when it comes to rhythm games, I can play for *hours*...

maybe you SHOULD buy a second guitar ;-)

(or a second wiimote!! TENNIS!)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's not bad watching someone play rhythm games or singing games. Anyway, eventually you'll get super good and we can take turns beating each other at things.

Or, I could get that second guitar, and we can do it simultaneously!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Theomnifish said...

A second Wiimote would be cool too!

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home