Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hookworm Adventures

Tycho from Penny Arcade both recommended this game and made a comic about it, so I downloaded the trial. I tried the original bookworm, which looks like an okay game, except it's one of those puzzle games where you don't die... actually, you do die, because eventually they introduce new dangerous blocks and whatever...

But Bookworm Adventures is a bit different. It now translates to an RPG type game, where you still make words, to destroy enemies. The longer the word, the more damage it deals - and then there are bonus tiles which have special powers, and you get equipment and level up on your quest to save the girl, and the equipment helps you, like in the penny arcade comic.

It's a good game. But it's just the trial version. The full game is a whopping $30, which is quite a lot for those small games; most are $20. But damn, this game is fun. It's pretty much what Tycho says - it's addicting, and since it's in the form of an action RPG, it just feels like more fun to play than a regular puzzle. Getting combos and scoring 2x or 3x points doesn't feel like much, but dealing 2x or 3x damage feels much better.

Wow, I'm actually considering buying this game. With the way I play games nowadays, this sorta fits into the lifestyle. I can easily alt-tab and whatever while talking on MSN, so it's good. I think I'll actually play through the whole thing and it'll last me sometime. I'll think about it.

(on a totally unrelated note, Happy Birthday Britney Spears :P )

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, BWA's kinda fun... What's your longest word so far? I managed to get two 11-letter words: Lycanthrope and Singularity. The latter was with the Bow of Xyz too, so it one-shot whomever I hit with it... But I was pretty much building up for that word; I had 10 of its letters for a while, and just made what I could with the other six available letters until I got the last letter I needed...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I tried to build the most # of shinies... the most I've gotten was 11, as seen here:

http://www.baomon.com/blog/bwa-savingletters.jpg

As for longest word, I think it could've been 9, and with 6 shinies.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home