Monday, September 11, 2006

YouTube Culture

The other day Ray sent me links to a bunch of car videos on youtube, and basically I spent the whole hour watching different things on YouTube, and if I didn’t have things I wanted to get done (like watching Lost or BSG) I could spend the entire day watching things on You Tube.

So I got to exploring, and there’s this whole… like, culture. Personally, I’m not a mySpace person, I guess I never got hooked on it. But it amazes me, sometimes, how the Internet gives everyone a voice, and different people do different things with that voice. And in this case, Youtube has given everyone with a video camera a way to share these videos very easily. And videos can be quite unique.

So anyway, I was exploring, and I come across Cutiemish – she’s a user on YouTube. First, I saw one video, which looked like some friend taped her and put it on the web, and I thought, “poor girl” – but then I found out she has like 30 videos, and most videos have over 1000 comments from people all over the web. So basically, on YouTube, maybe she’s really famous.

Maybe she started out doing it for fun, and then her fan-base grew like crazy and now she has this whole cult following, me included. She’s just one person, just like any of us, but she’s just really cute and she’s fun to watch, and now she has many adoring fans (and haters) everywhere. Here’s a link to one of her videos if you like..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnopyeye0B8

So cute! First I thought, sorta cute, sorta pretty, but yeah, she’s really cute. Listen to me, I sound like a crazy internet person. Anyway, YouTube’s pretty cool. There are a lot of other pretty unique videos – today I saw a video about a guy, that takes a picture of himself every day for 6 years, and then made a video slideshow of that.

And then just now I started looking at other users, and so people can now, essentially, “blog” to everyone in video format, and then other users “video-respond” to the blog, just like our comments to blog entries, but with videos! Whoa!

I dunno – maybe I’m just talking nonsense, maybe you guys already all knew that. Anyway, I probably knew the power of the internet a long time ago, but I still find it amazing. It used to be only geeks that harness the full power to have their voice be known, but now it’s everyone.

I like cutiemish.



Anyway, on a side note, I have a big back-log of blog entries that I wanted to post on the other blog, but I guess since I’m not using this one as much, I’ll post them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home