Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Zelda-0043: Project Notes

I don't want to interrupt the flow of the other blog, so I'll post here. So far, a couple people have played the game, and I got a few comments, but nothing really constructive, good, or bad, or whatever. And then nothing really suggestive either.

I'm currently working on trying to get Saving/Loading to work - if it works, I'll probably find out tomorrow. If it doesn't, then that really sucks, and continuing on the game could be pretty hard. Like, who wants to play a game for 40 minutes and then die and then have to start all over? There are lots of reasons why I shouldn't continue to make this game if I can't load and save. The first is that reason, the second is that, if I want to prevent death after 40 minutes, then I can't make hard levels or enemies. So, I really need saving to work.

Anyway, something else came to mind so I'm posting about it here. I started making this game to be like a zelda-clone, since the start - you have hearts, typically less than 10, and when enemies hit you they deal 1 damage to you. Enemies have a different kind of life meter, so... it's easier to... well, read on first.

Anyway, after a while I added something - Quests - similar to those in World of Warcraft. You get rewards for quest, like more life or weapon upgrades. So this is the thing - I want to keep it zelda like, with the hearts and stuff, but I also want the game to have... a pretty customizable feature in it, like in World of Warcraft, or, even Ninety Nine Nights. Things like armor upgrades, different weapon upgrades, other things like that.

Additionally, to make it more... interesting, maybe experience. My guy doesn't gain levels, and he doesn't gain experience. Similarly, armor upgrades don't work - we can't give you a piece of armor that says "Damage -5%", because an enemy does 1 damage, and you can't prevent 5%, until it does 20 damage, and... that's not going to happen anytime soon, and 5% damage wouldn't help at that point.

I was thinking your guy could just have critical-hit kind of stats. For example, your sword does Something + random(X) damage, where X is some upgrade you can get. Or you can have some critical-miss stat, where if an enemy touches you, you random(x), and if that result is less than 100, you get hit. If you get some upgrade that gives armor+5, then x = 100+5 = 105, so then you have a 5/105 chance of not taking damage.

So you go through the game, maybe get experience, and then you have a higher critical hit chance, or your weapon does more damage, or you can sometimes avoid getting hit. It's hard to do the other stuff, like prevent 5%, or gain experience for gaining levels... can't add 25 hit points to your character... maybe another heart? Just for fighting a lot of enemies? That could be interesting..

Well, let me know if you think of anything. Cool cool. Let's hope saving works.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Yu said...

You should add an item that adds "+10 to awesome," and not tell them what it does. Make them wonder what "+10 to awesome" means ;)

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home